November 23, 2005

DIDs

I just finished reading the Rolling Stone top 500 records of all time. It inspired me to write something in a similar fashion. So if you'll excuse me I'd like to submit 10 best (for me as of now at least) albums I'd take into a desert island should I be forced there in exile.


The Stone Roses
- one of the most innovative and revolutionary bands of all time. A very important and, above all, enjoyable record.

- a rock record disguised as an electronica act. The infectious beats steer this brilliant recording from the boring realm most techno acts often get stuck in after two tracks. electronica at its finest.



Kind Of Blue, Miles Davis
- my first exposure to this album was from my father. I remember I was still in kindergarten when I first heard it and thought it was pretty lame compared to Michael Jackson. Listening to it again after several years made me rethink that comparison.

- billy corgan is one of the greatest songwriters I know. This album, in my opinion, can give Nirvana’s NEVERMIND a run for the money as the album that defined the 90s and Gen X- a generation I’m proud to be part of.


- a very dark, but pretty album. Trent Reznor’s ear for interesting beats make this a very catchy record perfect for those rainy days when you’d like to lock yourself up inside a dark room, strap in the headphone, and wallow in misery. A perfect concept album.

Violator, Depeche Mode
- one of the best groups to have come out the 80s and reinvent themselves successfully from a synthpop boyband to a rock-oriented experimental unit. Everytime I put this on I feel like a little kid again. Nostalgia is always good.

- the attitude and arrogance came through as genuine and scathing enough to make a permanent mark on the consciousness of music listeners everywhere. GNR’s finest hour.

- aggressive, futuristic-sounding amalgam of electronica, grunge, and pop. I never tire of Shirley Manson cooing about “tearing my world apart”. One of the coolest albums there is.

Automatic, The Jesus And Mary Chain
- a lot of people claim “Psychocandy” was the masterpiece. Of course. I’m all for pop sounding and danceable melodies though. And this album has plenty of it. Sunny and melodic all throughout even if the subject being talked about is anything but.

- dark and cold sounding EP that proves just how good this band actually is. too bad about Layne Staley, though. he has, in my opinion, the best singing voice in all the seattle bands and we'll never get to hear it again.

No comments:

Tarzan, Ghostbusters receive revitalizing shots

The Legend Of Tarzan Having read the original origin story of the Edgar Rice Burroughs classic, I initially thought the movie was a direct...